Saturday, August 20, 2016

Kubiak Kills Brock, O'Brien turns QB into SAVAGE BEAST!





You couldn't ask for a better start to the game than a defensive score.  From my blog last week, I listed Christian Covington as one of the people to watch while JJ was out.  Boy did he deliver.  The defense was in the back field all night long.  They gave up a few runs to the QB, but you can let your QB scramble like that all day long in the NFL, but somebody is going to eventually pop them.  This defense without Watt, Cushing, and Clowney, did a really good job of providing some good pressure in the backfield.  Pitching a shut out in the second half was definitely a huge win.  






The running game and special teams was really what I wanted to see improved in this first game.  You can definitely tell that there is a different focus for us on special teams.  The rookies definitely proved they were rookies.  With a couple of drops, you can bet that OB had them focus on catching the ball first.  But overall I never felt like there was going to be a repeat of the Chiefs playoff game.  They got down there and got down there fast.  The rookie kicker looks to have a leg, but if he is unable to kick the ball into the end zone on kickoff's, Nick Novak may be safe this year.  




Lamar did not disappoint.  Breaking a huge run on the first play from scrimmage was a pleasant sight to see.  This backfield is going to be a great competition as Hilliard looked pretty good.  Although it was a reminder that "Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp" was no longer with the team.  In the past we've hung on to the "good old guys" but this year, it seems we've finally made a great effort to get better.  Guys like Ben Jones, and Chris Polk were definitely fan favorites, but the truth remain that there was better talent in the pool.  




I told you all last week not to expect a big day from Brock Osweiller.  You have to remember that this system is not one that you can just pick up and run with.  O’Brien and his team has made a practice of preparing QB's last minute to come in and perform very well.  However, the first stage of being a QB in O’Brien’s system is DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER!  Make good decisions.  In a first preseason game, Brock's job was to play mistake free football.  Get us in and out of plays, and don't turn the ball over.  One of the biggest things I was concerned about Brock was coming from Kubiak's system, you are rarely a decision maker on the field.  Kubiak has his script, and you have to stick to that script.  I was not surprise to see the boot leg play, as O’Brien has made it a habit, to give new QB's plays that they are familiar with.  I still say Brock's test will come against Arizona, but he should definitely have his clipboard taking notes from Savage who definitely looks like a QB that has been in this system for 3 years.  Tonight Brock needs to show an ability to move the ball.  Throwing the ball short of the 1st down marker will not help his case.  He's got the jitters out of the way.  He needs to come out and look poised in the pocket, and give his play maker's a chance to make a play.  I remember people being very upset when Savage was drafted in the 5th round.  Of course, I'm joking when I called him a Savage BEAST, but I am not concerned if he has to go in the game at this point.  



DHop has nothing to prove.  I want to see more from the other receivers.  Would not be surprised if he doesn't even dress tonight.  But they still need to take a few shots down field and continue to ground and pound the rock with the running game.  The defense dominated in practice, but I'm looking for Clowney to come in and make a name for himself.  The offensive line continues its injury woes, so I'm looking for the "fill in's" to get some good work in and keep the QB's upright, and open up holes for the RB's.  I would be wrong not to mention the amount of penalties we DID NOT SEE last week.  Complimentary football has always been O'Brien's motto.  Let's continue to play smart, let's try to start fast, and go get this win on our pretty new turf!  

As always..................................................


Go Texans!



DJ THE DJ



No comments:

Post a Comment