Saturday, July 30, 2016

Pre Camp Predictions Houston Texans 2016

What an amazing time for football fans.  Last year this time, I was making sure that I was subscribed to HBO, in preparation of Hard Knocks.  That speech that O'brien gave had me pumped up for the season.  I felt that Mallet was the QB to lead us into the future, and what the heck were we thinking with this last minute Hoyer pick up?  Looking back on it, leaving them both alone and keeping Fitzmagic was likely the way to go, but with the way DHop played with 4 different quarterbacks, I think we were who we were ever going to be last year.  It's been a ride as a Texans fan.  I mean so many blah seasons, to get pumped up in 2012, only to be let down in 2013.    It makes it hard to be not to be skeptical about our future.  Even after so many great pick ups in the off season.  But more importantly, as much of a Kubiak fan that I was, surely we can't let him and Wade come back to back and play a superbowl in our very own stadium?  With that being said, here are my takes on what we need to see out of camp and the preseason:

A.  I was very pleased with the pick ups of Brock and Lamar.  But the biggest thing I saw in the draft and free agency, was the amount of speed we added to special teams, and Coach Izzo from New England.


It will be important that we get some speed that doesn't have to necessarily work special teams and start at wide receiver.  Some of this young speed has to become a solid return option.  At least form some sort of threat to run one back to the house.  I hope the addition of Lamar can give Alfred Blu more opportunity to play special teams, as he was a beast in the preseason, but had to take on the role of Lead back.  Please do not snooze on this unit finally being upgraded after being a total disgrace in year's past.



B.  JJ Watt has been the face of this franchise, but we have to see Brock put this team on his back.  Especially the offense.  I will always be a fan of Arian.  But we've yet to have that explosive offensive threat to get passionate on the sideline.  IF JJ is out for any games, I want to see Brock on the sideline giving that "pump em up" speech.  No one will ever steal the spotlight from JJ, but if we are going to be successful, Brock will have to come in with a big stick and back it up on the field.  The other thing I'm looking at on the offense is the addition of new Wide Receiver's coach Sean Ryan.  Outside of working with Odell Beckam, as some might say he's just a beast.  The receivers on the Giants hauled in 31 out of 48, and 30 out of 43 total touchdowns in the air under his coaching with the Giants.  Being a part of both superbowls is definitely a plus.  But we went young, and this seems to be the guy that can get some receivers prepared to catch the long ball.  I am calling Jalen Strong as the number 2.  But these other pick ups, seem like we have 2 or 3 Wes Welker type options.  Should be fun to see.



C.  With that being said, I think the next important thing we MUST see, is a savage Brian Cushing.  This former Rookie of the Year has to become the run stopping beast that used to run down Chris Johnson from sideline to sideline.  He will need to push Clowney to show up and show out.  As the anchor of this defense, he has to set the tone, especially with JJ out, or get the hell out of the way and let Mckinny take the reigns and move forward.




I'm not ready to make schedule predictions just yet.  I want to see what this new offense looks like.  I think it's important to note that we have answered some key missing pieces.  I agree with Rick Smith's extension based on the total body of work.  We've really not seen anyone he let go just kill it with other teams.  Several have won championships, from Jacoby, and Leach, to Wade and Kubiak.  But for the majority of his superstars, he has signed early and often.  As an organization we have done an extremely good job when we've had the number one pick.  From passing on Bush and Vince, to not taking Manziel despite him being a very heavy favorite.  No more excuses for Clowney.  He has to come out and prove that passing on David Carr at this point was worth it.  I truly think minus his injury, Arian would still be a Texan.  But General Manager contracts in the NFL or just like those in the restaurant industry, you're only as good as your last PNL.  So although in good faith, if the Texans have a disastrous season, he will be left looking for a job, as OB will be safe.  So let this camp begin.  Hopefully injury free.  I look for JJ to return in week 3 vs the Patriots.  I'm looking for Jalen Strong to become a stand out in camp, and Clowney and Mercilus to make you almost feel like Watt can sit for 6 games and we'll be fine.  With that being said...................................

Go Texans!

DJ THE DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment