Saturday, September 17, 2016

Did Tom Herman run Nick Wright away from Sports Radio 610? Romeo's Wildcat, and Chiefs vs Mad Bulls


It is hard not to mention the special feeling U of H is bringing to Houston.  With several people having to pull out our old Clutch City hats in the 4th quarter of Thursday's game, we have to admit that Tom Herman is definitely the best thing to happen to the university.  After losing Kevin Sumlin to Texas A&M, there was a recent feud about a former recruit of Texas A&M.  I have to say that I have been listening to Sports Radio 610 since John and Lance in the morning.  Over the years we have saw some of our favorites deflect to other stations and like any good fan, we've followed them and have had to split time.  I heard Nick call in to his old show this Friday and it just made me wonder if this little tiff was what ran him out of the city.  After listening to it again, I really felt that John had good intentions and wanted to clear the air.  But Coach was not having it one bit.  It truly sounded like no one was going to give from the start.  Coach seemed to only want to speak with John.  Nick felt the need to defend John.  But his comments lead Coach to start asking things like "Who are you?"  "How old are you? Like 19?"  Definitely sounded like Coach was talking to one of his players.  But Nick wasn't having any of that, and tried to stand his ground.  Even asking Coach out to lunch, only to be denied.  But looking at it from a distance, Nick said "I will put my reputation and my career up against anyone in this town."  Turns out coach Herman was not the one he should have chosen to do this with. I think 610 trying to accompany two well respected guys in John Lopez and Rich Lord, with the young Nick and Josh Innis may have been a disaster waiting to happen.  There is no doubting what Koch and Kalu has brought to the table.  But I have to say that the current line ups on all stations right now seem to have a really great rapport, and what a time to do that when the Cougs are looking like a shoe in for the playoffs, and the Texans looking like they can make a deep run finally in the playoffs.  I just need them to bring Matt Jackson back into the fold.

But did somebody say Texans?  Let's talk keys to the game.  Starting with doing more of the same!  Check out DHop's tweet once the Texans MOVED UP to draft Will Fuller with the 21st pick.  With Corey Coleman off the board, and it being very possible for the Redskins to grab a receiver, no one is questioning now why we would give up anything to just move up one spot.  But the key on the offensive side of the ball against the chiefs is to make sure that they know we have weapons now.  I can't tell you how excited I was to see Brock's first pass as a Texan to go to a tight end.  A position that the BrianRyan experiment seemed to never be able to locate.  It was very clear towards the end of the game that you will not be able to just plan to double team DHop and not pay any attention to the others.  During our best season in 2012 we saw Andre Johnson catch 1598 yards and 4 Touchdowns.  The closest receiver to him wasn't a receiver, it was a TE Owen Daniels with 716 yards and 6 Touchdowns.  The actual closes receiver was Kevin Walter with 518 yards and 2 Touchdowns.  With Will Fuller V putting up 100 yards and a TD in the first game, I'd say we may be ready to do some damage.  Braxton Miller was the talk of the preseason but seemed to have some first game jitters.  I know we are all waiting for that screen pass that will allow us to see him show off that quarterback arm.  He was obviously playing for his job in the last preseason game and played Cecil right over to Tampa Bay.  I am calling Braxton as the stand out against the Chiefs.  His role will be much like the role of Wes Welker in this offense.  With DHop and Will being the Randy Moss duo.  Let's face it, Randy was bad, so the two of them together can at least attempt to come close to the Hall of Famer.





Click here to see Fuller blow past defenders for score


Much like the offense, I do not think that you should be worried about if JJ is at 100%.  I think what you saw this past Sunday, was exactly what we needed.  The years of Andre Johnson and JJ Watt being the sole heirs to the throne of the offense and defense are over.  Last year this defense had 45 sacks and 14 Interceptions.  In the secondary each member of the secondary had at least one interception.  Between the defensive line and linebacker core JJ Watt had 38% of the sacks with Whitney Mercilus having 27%.  So that's a total of 29 sacks for JJ and Whitney, and 4 other guys splitting the other 16, There were 6 guys not posting a sack.  Denver, who had the number one defense, had 54 sacks.  The highest sack total of one person was 11, and 14 guys on the team registered at least one sack vs 6 total guys on our team who registered sacks.  So to be clear 15 Broncos teamed up for 54, and 6 guys on the Texans teamed up for 45.  Looking at Mercilus Sack, It seemed to me that he was purposely falling on his back to give his teammates a chance to punch the ball.  I will look to see if I continue to see that trend this week.  Can you imagine if JJ wasn't the only mad sacker on the team?  These Bulls are Mad.  Last week's game we saw JJ get robbed of one sack, but the entire team registered 5 sacks.  If that were to happen every game we'd rack up, aw never mind.  I'm just saying as a team we are causing these teams to rethink how they play us.  These Bulls are bad.  LL Cool JJ BAD!  #DONTCALLITACOMEBACK #LLJJIMBAD



It will be important this week that the Texans set the edge on defense.  What scares me about this game is Alex Smith's ability to beat us with his legs.  Is there a such thing as a Defensive Wild Cat?  Is this Romeo Wild Cat set up of Clowney with his hand in the dirt, JJ and Mercilus on the end, and Simon and Bullough coming up the middle really a thing????  Clowney will need to be careful that teams will allow him to blow pass the lineman, only to throw it to the running back on a screen.  There was a play last week, that had the running back caught the ball it would have been a huge gain.  But it will be important that we do not forget the screen pass.  I am looking for the Chiefs to get the ball out quick with short dump passes.  We must also not forget that they have Maclin.  I've heard everyone talking about Kelce.  Kelce made his bed the last two times we faced him.  Coach O'Brien has been clear that this is a game plan team.  So look for them to adjust for him.  Romeo should have a pretty good game plan for him this week.  I just hope that we do not forget that they have the burner Maclin on the field.




This team just needs to stay the course.  All of the moves that they've made from adding players and coaches.  This week they will show their resilience to win and ability to move forward.  Coach Reid is a great coach and has always manage to get his team ready for games.  I'm looking for Braxton Miller and John Simon to stand out this week.  I cannot go without mentioning Charles James II work on special teams.  Coach O'Brien told us in the off season that even some starters would be playing on special teams, and it has shown.  A tackle for anything less than the 25-yard line on the first kick off to the Chiefs will likely rip the retractable roof clean off NRG.  Factor in the missed scoop and score, and the rocket Brock through to Fuller V for the drop, my score prediction last week would have been spot on.  But I must admit, it showed that Coach Fox, who drafted Brock, played him in his first start last year, may have had more tape on him than I thought.  But this is where I take you back to my first blog, where I said this season will come down to coaching.  Coach O'Brien continues his ability to adjust in the second half of games.  In 17 games last year the Texans only allowed 13 Touchdowns in the second half.  That's 36 quarters in the second half of games where only 13 Touchdowns were given up.  A couple of those games they didn't allow any.  The 2013 Seahawks only gave up 9.  So ultimately this week the Texans need to come out in the first half, start fast, and put some points on the board.  Win the time of possession in the first half, and in the second half let Romeo put in his closing pitchers and take this win home.  I'm calling this a victory for the Texans 24-12.  With the Rahim Moore experiment done, I think our secondary this year is better prepared for Kelce.  As long as J-Jo can control Maclin, Alex Smith may be in for a hurting tomorrow.  #DONTCALLITACOMEBACK #MYBULLSBAD   Well at least we are getting some love from NFL.com, they are picking us to win in overtime 30-27.  Elliott Harrison picks Texans to Win, Click here for the rest of his predictions.            



And as always.......................................


Go Texans!





DJ THE DJ









No comments:

Post a Comment